3 Must-Try Grilling Recipes
June 26th 2021
1. Grilled Chicken Breasts with Lemon and Thyme
A bold mixture of red-pepper flakes, garlic, thyme, lemon juice, and olive oil serves as a spicy marinade for bone-in chicken breasts. If you want your chicken spicier still, increase the red pepper or leave the breasts in the marinade for an hour or two.
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
4 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 1/4 pounds in all variations)
- Try any dried herb you like in place of the thyme. Marjoram, oregano, rosemary, or sage are all good choices.
- Use a quartered chicken instead of bone-in breasts. Cook the breast sections as directed in Step 2 and allow thirteen minutes per side for the leg quarters.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of bone-in breasts. Grill them until just done, about five minutes per side over moderately high heat.
2. Grilled Shrimp with Oregano and Lemon
The sauce for this shrimp is a simple version of Italy's salmoriglio, typically made with lemon and herbs in a mortar. The sauce is also delicious spooned over grilled swordfish or any other meaty fish.
1/2 cup salted capers—rinsed, soaked for 1 hour and drained
1/2 cup oregano leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper
2 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
3. Grilled Steak with Cucumber-and-Daikon Salad
Chef Way David Myers grills with bincho (hard white charcoal) and serves the steak with yuzukosho, a condiment of yuzu (a citrus), chiles and salt.Easy Way Home cooks can use a grill pan or any kind of outdoor grill for strip steaks. The topping: lemon zest, chili, daikon and cucumber salad.
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for rubbing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 seedless cucumber, very thinly sliced
8 ounces daikon, peeled and very thinly sliced
Four 8- to 10-ounce strip steaks (3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
1 cup radish or daikon sprouts (optional)
1 teaspoon minced fresh chile
4 ounces baby arugula
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds